Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Invitation Work and the Memorial

This has been an exciting month for us here. It's extremely hot right now (average temp 100 degrees), we can't wait until the rainy season starts. Needless to say long days in service seem very long, at home when we put in a longer day and stay out until 2:30 it doesn't seem the same, here by 1:00 I feel like I have been hit by a train, we are covered in dirt from the dry dusty roads and sweaty beyond belief, however its still surprisingly amazing and we all love it. The kids are putting in just as many hours as us and doing great. Of course they still have their moments.



Monday we rented a friends car and we put in a long day to try to find our call that we had not been able to reach home, one last chance to give them an invitation to the Memorial and finish up mapping of 3 territories we had to get done. We started in San Fernando then to Estrada on to Samara then headed to do some of our calls up in Pelada the furthest north of our territories. When we needed a break we headed up to Ostional, this is about 7 km north of Pelada. All the rivers were dry on the way here but I had to take pics of all the walking bridges to this town, I could never leave if I lived here in the rainy season. We'd never been to Ostional and so we got to check out the beautiful beach and had a bite to eat. When we were sitting there an English speaking tico started talking to us about our kids so we told him that we were handing out invitations and offered him one as well as the truth tract and some English magazines, he was so excited and told us he was on vacation from San Jose for the holy week. (a week long celebration for Costa Ricans) When we showed him the truth tract he was really interested in learning more about "what happens to us when we die?".He said "oh yes that's a good one I'm scared of dying", so we told him we would come back in a couple days to answer that question for him. So today we returned to bring him the bible teach book and discuss that subject. We went over the first 8 paragraphs in chapter 6, it was great! He wants us to come back friday for another study before he leaves, we also told him there is a English speaking congregation in Belen close to where he lives and he wanted to know how to get there and was happy to hear about it.



Memorial was beautiful, the sisters had flowers from their yards that were along the stage and I must say the cleaning and paint really showed, it looked great! We had 133 in attendance (we only have around 35 to 40 publishers) and lots unloaded out of backs of trucks, it was so great to see. Unfortunately none of our calls came, even though we offered rides and called to try to get them to come after they said they would, I guess that was the common thread with lots of ones calls, so I didn't feel too bad. One poor girl in the front row got served the bread 1st and started to grab it to take a bite, everyone around her was like "no no put it back", poor thing she just didn't know not to eat it, she looked puzzled like huh we just pass it... It was so hot we couldn't wait to get out of the hall, we didn't really think about it before that we were going to walk home and I was wearing heals, stupid. Well we made it, good thing the moon was so bright and that we roasted in the hall cause it made it feel cool outside.

7 comments:

  1. That little blue minivan cracks me up! Its a teenie-van! Sounds like you got so much done in the invitation work, that is great! We had a full house, and the congregation made great headway in the distribution - I think we had 12,000 to place. We try to do the easier parts of the territory in the cold months, and save Council Crest for summer... :) Sorry you are having to deal with such heat, especially with the kids, so remember to drink your agua! It has been POURING here for the last 3 days, even hailed today and MtHood got about a foot of new snow..So you can dream about that... :) Hugs to you all! Love, The Anderson's

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the flowers, and to think those just came out of somebodies back yard! We miss you guys can't wait to have you back this summer! love jr and mel and kids

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just thought I'd say hey!! Sitting at the computer working and thought I'd see if there was anything new. Looks like you guys are staying busy! Weather here still awful... I'm going to need a GREAT summer to make up for all this gloominess (is that a word? hahaha). Anyway, just a little shout out to let you know I was thinking about you. Have a great week!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jackson's!
    Have been reading your blog; found it on a google search for needgreaters in Costa Rica.
    I'm in a congregation in New Hampshire and beginning to plan a trip to C.R. to work with an English congregation. A sister coming with me speaks Spanish but I'm just learning.
    I'm shooting for November 2010. And just sent my letter to the branch in San Jose.

    If you have any tips...my email is:
    linda@artfeltdesigns.com

    Thanks for allowing us all to enjoy your experiences there...bugs & all:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hola!
    Keep up the great work. You guys have been a great encouragement for us and we really enjoy following your blog now that we have more time. I know times can be tough and just when we barely have enough energy to keep going....our little ones need that boost of encouragement from us. It's a whole different story serving the need as a family with kids, but WE CAN DO IT and YOU ARE!!! Now that we're back home...It's cold and damp here and allergy season has officially begun. I can say that I miss Costa Rica...the HOT sun and high humidity did wonders for our skin and the experiences we had are now lifetime memories...Well, we are finally getting back into our routine here, but sure miss the simple things in life and can't wait for our next adventure. At least next time... I know how to prepare and what to pack. (haha) Anyhow...We look forward to your next posting and send our love and lots of hugs,hugs, and hugs. YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME!!!
    Love...Nate, Angie, Erika, Elesia & Logan :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoyed your posting about the memorial. We can only imagine how hot that tiny Kingdom Hall must have bee with 133 people in it! What great experiences your having. Love, Joel, Julie, Phoenix & Solana PS Phoenix was asked by a brother last night what the best part of CR was and he said "Noah & Brooklyn." :) Then Sol said "I want to see Ruby!"

    ReplyDelete
  7. My husband is going to do temp work at Bethel for a few weeks. Since I wasn't accepted with him, he said I should go pioneer for a couple of weeks somewhere. Costa Rica is one of my favorite countries, so that is where I am headed. I love hearing your stories. I am hoping you can tell me which area has a big need, but not a ton of need greaters. I really don't care which area. We called the branch, but since they are closing in two days they weren't able to give much info. We don't have time to go through Mexico. (I have served as a needgreater before in Ecuador). I am fluent in Spanish, so prefer to help in that field. If you could e-mail me I would love to hear from you! Or anyone that may read my post.....Thanks! thdrywall@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete